Author Topic: Road network  (Read 1926 times)

Major Glory

• Historical Event Organizer
  • Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
Road network
« on: Mar 02, 2012 05:14PM »

Based on our conversation this past Wed night, I would like to through a few ideas for roads out there.  Obviously, it would be great to have some sort of road setup for as many tables as possible.  I think to start off with, a realistic and achievable goal would be having a complete set of roads for 3 tables to see how it goes, and perhaps one good set of railroad tracks. 

I would think the requirements would be as follows:

a: Should be enough road to go across a table length irregardless of direction (4-6 ft)
b: One set should be a form of paved roadway, another a dirt road, the third might be cobblestone or similar in appearance.
c: A few bridges to allow roads to connect across water features such as rivers.
d: a means to keep these sets together so the pieces do not get intermingled, damaged or lost during normal use.
e: A means should be devised to allow the shop to expand upon these sets in a manner that is both good for the gamers use, and financially not a heavy burden on the store.
A bullet may have your name on it, but a grenade is addressed "To whom it may concern"

DaBrode

• TBS Owner
  • Battle Standard Bearer
  • "Nice try Lao Che!"
    • View Profile
    • The Battle Standard
Re: Road network
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2012 05:37PM »

Great stuff!

*takes notes*

This may be a job best tackled by purchasing the necessary items rather tham making them.  If someone finds some good roads as described above post some links please.
:trollbloods: Borka's Kegslayers
:wmmercs: Grundback's Grunts
:mercs: Hoffman's Heroes
:ork: Urgot 'Eadbaggah's 'Ead 'Unterz
:maw: Clan of Olag Foestomper
:chaos: The Felled Angels
:aquila: Merc Redreign's Cipher Company 000 "The Nobodies"

Winterwolf8601

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2012 11:01PM »

I'd make a slight adjustment to A. I'd ideally recommend something more like 8'-10' of road for each set.

Reason being is that having one road across the table is nice, having a road network with a couple of intersections and the like is exponentially even nicer. It'd be great for 40k city fight type engagements, rural roads would work nicely for fantasy (you could link houses and the like to a main road or to a nearby field to give a sense that the battlefield could almost be a real place), I don't know much about WarMachine or MERCs, but I imagine that they could certainly use roads if for nothing else than to tie the battlefield together so it almost tells a story by itself. All sorts of roads are very important for Flames of War as well of course too.

With each individual set of roads longer, you can always divide them and give 6 tables some roads instead too.

Here's an interesting idea for how to make roads.
http://www.tabletop-terrain.com/archives/2008/11/23/884/tutorial-cheap-flexible-15mm-roads/
1st Place: 2013 Masters, MW Pzgrens, LW Panzers
3rd Place: 2012 MW Nationals, Panzer Kompanie
3rd Place: 2011 US Masters, Hungarian Onkentes Puskas

Standard army procedure when treading on a mine: Jump two-hundred feet in the air, and scatter oneself over a wide area.

Tommy

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2012 12:25PM »

Thats a cool artical Phil!

I may try my hand at making one.
"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country."

Rick

• Footman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2012 02:17PM »

The 6" pcs I made for the group last year cost about 6 bucks to make - the dirt road pcs are 1/4' MDF with wall plaster - a 4'x4' pc of 1/4 inch MDF cost about 4 bucks. You can make over 70 6"x2" straight sections or any shapes you want - a box of wall plaster powder costs $2 - mix as needed and you can cover all of the sections - I ran wheel ruts through it before letting it dry - then white glue with fine and - ( again, play sand 3 bucks for 25 lbs, I bought a bag 3 years ago and keep it in a dry place and use as needed)  once the sand drys - just paint, highlight - add some flock and you have dirt road sections
Flip the MDF over to the smooth side - paint dark grey and you have city roads ( carve in some cracks for added realism)

Just go to 4"x12" section for 40K and warhammer

DaBrode

• TBS Owner
  • Battle Standard Bearer
  • "Nice try Lao Che!"
    • View Profile
    • The Battle Standard
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2012 11:29AM »

In the past we've also made these types of roads but it seems Rick's held up much better than ours.  Can you elaborate on what type of Wall Plaster you used?  I believe we used Sheetrock compound and that just chipped away leaving white specks everywhere.

Krynn72

• Man-At-Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2012 05:44PM »

I was thinking of doing some roads and bridges in 3D on my computer,having them printed and then getting resin copies made like I did with the buildings I made, so this is good timing. There are some hard limits on how long pieces could be, but I could make pretty much any style. Being a FOW player, I'd be inclined to do some 15mm scale ones first, since we always seem to need more roads, but I can certainly do larger scale ones too if you guys are interested.
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2012 11:04PM by Krynn72 »

Rick

• Footman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2012 09:46PM »

I think mine hold up better as there is a coating of white glue over the surface, then sand added for texture plus a coating of epoxy paint  - less chipping - same wall bd spackle

DaBrode

• TBS Owner
  • Battle Standard Bearer
  • "Nice try Lao Che!"
    • View Profile
    • The Battle Standard
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2012 12:41PM »

Ah-ha!  Good to know for the next set.  Resin casts sound great too!

ExplodingGoatGuy

• Footman
    • View Profile
    • Exploding Goat Games
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2012 01:00PM »

I'm a GINORMOUS fan of nice road networks on tables and having various types of road construction is a great idea. There's some companies that make really nice pre-fab roadway for various railroad scales but they'd need to be tweaked to make them look... well... not so railroady. RR terrain tends to be a bit "brighter" and "more cheerful" for lack of better terms. We'd need to give them the requisite "blown to hell"  and "depressing" feel of the battleground.

We could easily do more cobble roadway the way we did it on the Khador board (by easily I mean its easy to construct.. tedious as all get out to paint).
The concrete or asphalt would be fairly easy as well... minimal texture... some craters perhaps.
The most complex, oddly enough, would be the dirt roads due to the texturing, rutting, tire tracks, gravel. A tad more complex to make nice ones but not a difficult project at all.

Also, WorldWorks Terrain is an option. WW is PDF terrain that's printed on heavy card stock OR adhesive paper and affixed to plasticard or MDF. This stuff is GORGEOUS.

Just some ideas.

Jay
Jay Hyland
Gaming Geek &
President
Exploding Goat Games