Author Topic: Mercs product has arrived!  (Read 2917 times)

DaBrode

• TBS Owner
  • Battle Standard Bearer
  • "Nice try Lao Che!"
    • View Profile
    • The Battle Standard
Mercs product has arrived!
« on: Feb 18, 2012 02:57AM »

TBS is proud to now carry many of the MERCS Miniatures line.  Stop in and check out today!
:trollbloods: Borka's Kegslayers
:wmmercs: Grundback's Grunts
:mercs: Hoffman's Heroes
:ork: Urgot 'Eadbaggah's 'Ead 'Unterz
:maw: Clan of Olag Foestomper
:chaos: The Felled Angels
:aquila: Merc Redreign's Cipher Company 000 "The Nobodies"

Major Glory

• Historical Event Organizer
  • Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
Re: Mercs product has arrived!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2012 05:33PM »

Looks interesting.  My only question is what keep it from following the same path Privateer press seems heading onto now?  Adding larger and larger models to what is supposed to be a skirmish game is starting to put it in the GW category.
A bullet may have your name on it, but a grenade is addressed "To whom it may concern"

Lycane

• MERCS Event Organizer
  • Man-At-Arms
  • Trolls FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2012 06:17PM »

This company is still very new (a little over a year old) and very small (2 guys and their wives +3 contributors). They pride themselves on this game system and the world that they have created and make sure that everything they produce is of the highest quality that they can provide. their rule set and testing is done very well and the play testers know what they are doing. ;)

As for evolving into masses of infantry,tanks, and full scale battles. I'm almost positive that will not happen. The core of the game is small strategic battles where losing one guy really impacts the rest of your models. IF they were to add even vehicles they would be tested extensively and would not be the scale as say a battle engine or titan.

I can talk more in depth about their plans in person or even link the thread if you want but they have huge plans for the future and their timeline isnt a hasty one so if done right MERCs Miniatures...actually their official name is Megacon Games i beleive will be a company to watch/follow.

Hope this helps.

~Dave

Major Glory

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2012 08:45PM »

Thanks for the reply.  Wasn't trying to piddle in your cornflakes, but after watching 40K and WH fantasy slide into an utter farce of a game system I tend to be a bit more thoughtful about games I look into.  I will say this looks interesting.  Since you seem to be the person tooting the horn for it, what are your plans for this game at Battlestandard?
A bullet may have your name on it, but a grenade is addressed "To whom it may concern"

Lycane

• MERCS Event Organizer
  • Man-At-Arms
  • Trolls FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2012 11:41PM »

I plan on running a couple events in march. The campaign is finalized and should go public soon. I have high hopes for it and hopefully it will assist in getting some interest in the game.

It's tough promoting a small game especially when gamers tend to put their blinders on to their current game but this is where MERCS shines. For $60 you get basically everything you need to play. So in relative terms it won't detract from other games you may play: such as warhammer or warmachine.

Also for those who don't want to re/unlearn rules the system is so simple, no lie any first time players were in the tourney at temple after just 2 demos!

So no piddling. Just want to assure you this is not like the other game companies.

Major Glory

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2012 12:39PM »

I totally agree that some players do tend to put blinders on.  Mostly I think that's the younger guys.  Older gamer's ,I think, tend to either be more careful spending money for the games they play, or to keep things simple stick to one game system.  But I digress.

I've looked on the website and looked over the different factions, How many of the factions have you tried and how do they keep balance so no list overpowers the others with problems like powercreeping or munchkin gaming?

Lycane

• MERCS Event Organizer
  • Man-At-Arms
  • Trolls FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2012 06:03PM »

I've looked on the website and looked over the different factions, How many of the factions have you tried and how do they keep balance so no list overpowers the others with problems like powercreeping or munchkin gaming?

I've played all of the faction currently out and own all but the USCR - just dont like the models.

Many new players will think that Kemvar is broken when playing a demo or not incorperating the advance combat manuevers (ACMs). They receive cover when they are out in the open and "full" cover when only partially concealed. But once players take off the training wheels and play with suppression/overwatch/bounding Kemvar has it's weaknesses. Even in a demo i have seen new players wipe out the Kemvar ninjas.

The game keeps a balance in that you're restricted with having to field only 5 guys. Each member fufills a specific role (snipers have a better firing number, leaders give bonuses to members nearby, heavies utilize template weapons). So after your team is selected you will be missing a key role usually a demo or medic.

It's how you position and apply the ACMs that equalize the playing field. I have never wipe an opponent because they brought the wrong team. So power gaming and what not really isnt a factor.

Cant stress this enough this game is about strategic maneuvering over "I bought/brought the biggest baddest model therefore I'm going to win". Maybe this game is so new that power creep isnt an issue - and as I see it happening anytime soon.

I hope this answered your question, if not let me know.sometimes I ramble and get side tracked!

Major Glory

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2012 07:36PM »

Yup, you answered my questions.  Not trying to be snarky or anything, I just want to know from a local source about a new game before I look at the shiny stuff needed to play.

Lycane

• MERCS Event Organizer
  • Man-At-Arms
  • Trolls FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2012 07:48PM »

anything to help - you on the MERCs forums at all? there is a lot of info there too. Might have to dig around but it's there.

Either way i'm more than happy to answer any/all questions MERCs related.

Major Glory

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2012 08:43PM »

Not on the forum at MERCS yet.  I did watch the videos about game play and looks pretty simple to play even with the ACM's. 

Major Glory

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2012 10:56PM »

@ Dabrode

When do you expect the rulebooks to arrive?

DaBrode

• TBS Owner
  • Battle Standard Bearer
  • "Nice try Lao Che!"
    • View Profile
    • The Battle Standard
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2012 01:15AM »

Friday (tomorrow)

Major Glory

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2012 08:46PM »

OKay, got my MERCS, now I just have to put them together and it's off to the tables   ;)

Rulebook is nicely laid out, my only comment is that it would be nice to have a little writeup for the Sefadu and the Keizai Waza.  I guess they must have come out after the books were published.  But a little info like that provided for the other 4 Megacons would help new gamers make a better choice about starting factions.

DaBrode

• TBS Owner
  • Battle Standard Bearer
  • "Nice try Lao Che!"
    • View Profile
    • The Battle Standard
« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2012 11:26AM »

OKay, got my MERCS, now I just have to put them together and it's off to the tables   ;)

Rulebook is nicely laid out, my only comment is that it would be nice to have a little writeup for the Sefadu and the Keizai Waza.  I guess they must have come out after the books were published.  But a little info like that provided for the other 4 Megacons would help new gamers make a better choice about starting factions.

x2, maybe Dave can provide some feedback regarding this.

Lycane

• MERCS Event Organizer
  • Man-At-Arms
  • Trolls FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2012 02:12PM »

Hand Connon Gaming Blog has soe great write ups:

http://handcannononline.com/blog/2011/10/06/mercs-%E2%80%93-faction-focus-sefadu/
Sefadu

http://handcannononline.com/blog/2011/11/22/mercs-%E2%80%93-faction-focus-keizai-waza/
Waza

from my experiences: Sefadu are fast! after the first turn they should be using the CCM move and fire as much as possible while putting the sniper on suppression are the basic strategies...but a ig hint to what really makes them shine: fire grenades. The Berserker gets a free action every time he kills something and has 360 melee range. the Leader can "tag" targets which makes them easier to hit - only applies to medic and demo for now.

Waza are completely different. They have access to a nuke which sounds awesome and it is but they have so much more going for them. When they are wounded they get better (+1 to all rolls), when their armor is broken they only suffer -1MP instead of -2MP... the Sniper can cause 3 blood with a natural roll of 10 and target a model behind full cover! There are some rules to this that are in the Waza FAQ. The Pathfinder can bound with himself and the leader rolls 2 initiative dice: assigns one and then takes the other.

Basically 2 really unique forces with a lot to wrap your head around. One is a little more aggressive while the other has more tricks than a barrel full of monkeys.

Hope this helps!