Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ideas...  (Read 5706 times)

DaBrode

• TBS Owner
  • Battle Standard Bearer
  • "Nice try Lao Che!"
    • View Profile
    • The Battle Standard
Ideas...
« on: Feb 13, 2012 07:31PM »

There are a million ideas for tabletops in this hobby and our imaginations are endless but there are some tables that we really want to see made or have some of the components for already and want to finally get it together.  Here's some thoughts on tables I'd like to see us tackle...

- Imperial Air Support Base with hangar (WH40K, Mercs)
- Wheat Farm & Grainary with working windmill (Warhammer Fantasy, Warmachine/Hordes)

What ideas sound good to you?
:trollbloods: Borka's Kegslayers
:wmmercs: Grundback's Grunts
:mercs: Hoffman's Heroes
:ork: Urgot 'Eadbaggah's 'Ead 'Unterz
:maw: Clan of Olag Foestomper
:chaos: The Felled Angels
:aquila: Merc Redreign's Cipher Company 000 "The Nobodies"

JacobiteRebellion

• Footman
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2012 03:39PM »

A desert-themed table.  I know it would be usable in FoW.  I'm assuming other game systems could use it as well?

D.Scott

DaBrode

• TBS Owner
  • Battle Standard Bearer
  • "Nice try Lao Che!"
    • View Profile
    • The Battle Standard
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2012 05:00PM »

Definitely!

Several games can play on desert terrain and desert also lends to a more open tabletop for games like Warhammer Fantasy.

I'll be looking back to this thread during the table build process for ideas so thanks for posting up.

Tommy

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2012 07:40PM »

I want a my little pony table with rainbows and fountains of chocolate!!! If the fountain was edible it would be even better !!!!!!

But on a serious side of things I would like to do a chaos world table.
"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country."

Major Glory

• Historical Event Organizer
  • Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2012 08:38PM »

What about a jungle table for the GW players?  A Desert terrain table could be used by most every game.  An Urban table would be great, but I think the buildings would have to be scaleable for a variety of games.  And if you guys want to push games like Battlefleet Gothic, or Call to Arms, an open space with some planets would be good.
A bullet may have your name on it, but a grenade is addressed "To whom it may concern"

JacobiteRebellion

• Footman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2012 10:57PM »

Oh!  How about a table for "space" or "ocean".  Major Glory's got a great idea!  An "ocean" table would be mostly a paint job (although it would have be awesome) and could be used for Dystopian Wars.

D.Scott

DaBrode

• TBS Owner
  • Battle Standard Bearer
  • "Nice try Lao Che!"
    • View Profile
    • The Battle Standard
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2012 02:15AM »

I do believe a top notch sea battles / galactic battles table would be outstanding.  I think we may need to research options for this.

Tommy's My Little Bro-ny table may have to wait til 2013.

Tommy

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2012 12:52PM »

Sad :'(
"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country."

Major Glory

• Historical Event Organizer
  • Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2012 12:44PM »

Tommy's My Little Bro-ny table may have to wait til 2013.

Noooooooooooooooooo.......ok  :'(
A bullet may have your name on it, but a grenade is addressed "To whom it may concern"

ExplodingGoatGuy

• Footman
    • View Profile
    • Exploding Goat Games
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2012 12:57PM »

Definitely!

Several games can play on desert terrain and desert also lends to a more open tabletop for games like Warhammer Fantasy.

I'll be looking back to this thread during the table build process for ideas so thanks for posting up.

I have several pieces of 28mm desert terrain that I'd built when playing both Wargods of Aegyptus and Battlefield Evolution. I'll be bringing these in for use in the store! Just, as always, I ask players treat 'em with respect as they each represent quite an expense of time and cashola!

Jay
Jay Hyland
Gaming Geek &
President
Exploding Goat Games

ExplodingGoatGuy

• Footman
    • View Profile
    • Exploding Goat Games
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2012 01:02PM »

Oh!  How about a table for "space" or "ocean".  Major Glory's got a great idea!  An "ocean" table would be mostly a paint job (although it would have be awesome) and could be used for Dystopian Wars.

D.Scott

In my experience, the best way to do space or naval battles at the more common scales is to use cloth table covers (cheap sheets work well here) with sprayed backgrounds. One common mistake I've found is to put too much detail into space-ocean boards. My reasoning here... most of these systems use 1/600th to 1/1200 scale miniatures. Many companies put a TON of detail on these ships and, once they're painted up, they look phenomenal but the details are small. If you put too much detail onto the table, it completely overwhelms the model and paint detailing. Just my opinion of course :)

The best accents to these tables are sporadically placed, themed objects such as islands or planets and asteroids. I put a few such asteroids and planets in the glass display case where Alex placed his Mongoose Star Trek ships. Ask one of the TBS staff to grab 'em out if you'd like to use 'em!!!

Jay
Jay Hyland
Gaming Geek &
President
Exploding Goat Games

DaBrode

• TBS Owner
  • Battle Standard Bearer
  • "Nice try Lao Che!"
    • View Profile
    • The Battle Standard
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2012 02:12PM »

These are certainly important considerations I hadn't thought of.  I'm thinking a flippable game mat of somekind we can roll up when it's not in use.  One side ocean, the other is space.

ExplodingGoatGuy

• Footman
    • View Profile
    • Exploding Goat Games
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2012 02:33PM »

These are certainly important considerations I hadn't thought of.  I'm thinking a flippable game mat of somekind we can roll up when it's not in use.  One side ocean, the other is space.

There are some companies that make mats... I don't know about double sided. That type of thing would have to be printed not painted, otherwise the painted images would be wrecked during rolling. If anyone knows offhand what is out there it'd be Bob. We'll ask him tonight!! lol

Jay
Jay Hyland
Gaming Geek &
President
Exploding Goat Games

Lycane

• MERCS Event Organizer
  • Man-At-Arms
  • Trolls FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2012 10:58AM »

Honestly for space and ocean battles: High res images of the ocean/space printed professionally say from a sign store (next door maybe *hint hint*) on a vinyl sheet. then islands and planets can be placed one them and be rolled up after use. Heck you can have the space image on one side and then deep blue on the other just air brush some light blue/white for waves/clouds

Top table ideas that draw attention:

Desert Table: Move-able terrain/dunes! Oasis templates, cacti groves, dried river/ravines...maybe a giant worm trap... I always imagine tatooine :

Chaos/lava table: go easy on the open cracked earth, some terrain can be gas/lava vents, crags, demonic statues/alters.

My other nontraditional table would be more enchanted or dangerous forest/swamp. brightly colored flowers...that shoot poison or eat creatures that get too close. Maybe a water fall...unicorn near by for Tommy...jk.

for super dungeon explore: great game!

you get the ideas: Would really like the jungle one.

Last but not least: URBAN NON GOTHIC - CITY. preferably not destroyed. You guys have some great shelled out rubble non gothic buildings which rock. But some undamaged ones would be nice. The only thing is that they are tough becuase they take up room and you cant enter them...well some places actually make MDF buildings that you can remove the roof and have models enter!

http://www.sarissa-precision.co.uk/

The above link has sci-fi and modern buildings that are really good.

http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/district5-apartment-p-578.html

Micro-art has fewer options but will add variety. Remember even though their stuff is designed for the game infinity (which isnt every bodies cup of tea) they can be used for other applications!

hope this helps!

infdiv197

• Squire
  • Thomas
    • View Profile
    • Kriegsspielzeug
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2012 11:42PM »

I believe that any gaming (store) should have a standard set of table tops at their disposal.
TBS has already a superb number of tables, but I strongly believe that two very basic and standard table tops are missing.
A) A jungle table top, and
B) A desert table top
They all can be utilized for 40k, Fantasy, FoW, Warmachine, Hordes, etc.
Those table tops are very versatile and should not be missed in any store.

I have a bunch of plastic aquarium plants in my arsenal I am willing to use for making a jungle table top. I can make a couple of pieces, and if it meets the general approval I can make enough for at least one table. Once completed, I can help or tackle a desert table.
Let me know if you want to let me loose on that.
Thanks,
Thomas
"Viel Feind, viel Ehr' "
Pronounce: (Feel find, feel air)
Meaning: "Lots of enemy, lots of honor"
Pages: [1] 2