Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Wednesday FoW Gaming  (Read 7281 times)

AvogadroTheMole

• Unit Musician
    • View Profile
Wednesday FoW Gaming
« on: Sep 17, 2011 09:30PM »

Hello All,
   I just moved to the area recently and heard about the store. I noticed the schedule has Wednesdays listed as FoW. Is this open gaming where I could just walk in and play? Does it have to be pre-arranged or is it a league I would need to try to enter?
   Are any other days available to play FoW besides Wednesday or are they filled up with the listed games?

I am still fairly new to playing FoW, although I have seen it played quite a few times. I am in the process of painting my German 15mm lead, but if incomplete models are acceptable I should have no trouble fielding 1500+ points in MW or LW.

I look forward to finally getting some consistent FoW gaming in!

-Matthew
Welcome to Soviet Russia. Here we do not measure our strength by the number of us left but rather by how few rounds you have remaining.

Krynn72

• Man-At-Arms
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday FoW Gaming
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2011 10:50PM »

Yep, Wednesdays are FOW nights, free for anybody to walk in and play at their leisure. We do run some events, which you can see in one of the other threads in this section. Chris (Major Glory on the forums here) does a good job keeping a schedule of leagues and other events lined up to keep things fresh. This upcoming Wednesday is actually the start of an escalation we're doing for mid war. Most people will have a 600pt mid-war army, and I'm sure plenty of people will bring along stuff for late war as well. Its not mandatory for everyone to play only the escalation league games or anything. No registration or anything either. Like I said, the event's basically just a guideline to keep things fresh and keep people interested.

Unpainted models, proxies, etc are all fine too, its a pretty laid back group here. There's also a couple of us who play weekends in addition to the weekly Wednesday nights, but its not a pre-scheduled thing. We just post on here and see if anybody is up for a game. I started a new topic yesterday about it in fact.

Anyways, glad to see another person looking to get in on some FoW goodness. See you on Wednesday I guess?

Major Glory

• Historical Event Organizer
  • Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2011 01:59PM »

Hello Matthew and welcome to the area!!

As Krynn has already said, we are a pretty open ended FoW crowd.  I try to keep a fairly organized schedule of events so the crowd keeps engaged in the hobby.  My goal is to keep the FoW game going, build the hobby with new players and hopefully find events to keep everyone happy and wanting more.

If you want to, this Wed September 21st we kick off a Mid-war Escalation league, which will run until the week before Xmas ending at 1500 points.  There is no entry fee's or anything like that.  As a new player, this might be a good way to get some experience and really get into the game.  Of course, you don't have to if you do not want to.  Most of us have LW as well and we also have recently run Early war as well.

So come on by and join us!!!   :D

Major Glory
A bullet may have your name on it, but a grenade is addressed "To whom it may concern"

AvogadroTheMole

• Unit Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2011 11:09PM »

Thanks for the replies!

I am going to try to make it this Wednesday and as many others as feasible. It is one of my few possible gaming nights right now, so here is hoping.

I do have a couple of questions, though. First, what time should I try to arrive for? Second, do these 600 point lists follow the guidelines in the rulebook where only one combat platoon is mandatory?

I hope to meet y'all on Wednesday!

-Matthew
Welcome to Soviet Russia. Here we do not measure our strength by the number of us left but rather by how few rounds you have remaining.

Mike

• Unit Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2011 12:28AM »

Most of us arrive sometime between 4:00 and 5:00, but as long as you can make it before 6:00 you should be able to get a game in (perhaps two since we're doing 600 points).

We are indeed following the suggested rules for 600 points: only the company HQ and one combat platoon are mandatory. Your other platoons (if you can afford them) can be support. My infantry company, for example, will have two HQ teams, a full infantry platoon, and a small tank platoon.

We'll see you Wednesday.
"You have to be fast on your feet and adaptive or else a strategy is useless." - Charles de Gaulle

TheTurk95

• Footman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2011 01:50PM »

Hey Matthew

I was in your shoes a couple a couple months ago just noticing the store and trying to get into FOW gaming. This group of people is really great. They are laid back and the nicest people. They are there to help you and any questions you have the'll answer it for you. There is a schedule for the Mid-War segment that we are doing in the store(I think).

Hope to meet you on Wednesday 

TheTurk
Men, I am not ordering you to attack. I am ordering you to die— Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
Battle of Gallipoli (25 April 1915)

AvogadroTheMole

• Unit Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2011 12:14PM »

It was great to meet so many of you yesterday. Thanks especially to all those who helped Aaron (sp?) and I with the rules during our game. I am looking forward to next week and beyond.

On another note:

It seems my Eastern Front book got switched-up at some point in the night. My copy was almost straight off the shelf while the one I now have has had the chance to see far more action. I think, but am not certain, that I had put my initials inside the cover (Cursive MsF). If anyone finds those initials in theirs or simply have an unexpectedly newer copy of the book could you bring it next week?

-Matthew

TheTurk95

• Footman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2011 02:06PM »

my name is actually spelled eren because it's turkish(but your not the first to spell it that way) ;D
Men, I am not ordering you to attack. I am ordering you to die— Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
Battle of Gallipoli (25 April 1915)

Major Glory

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2011 09:15PM »

Well the MW madness has begun!!!

Great to see people and I think the Russkies might have cornered the heavy metal market with the KV-85's.

I'm glad we had Matthew join us and I'm hoping to catch up with him for a game next Wed evening.
A bullet may have your name on it, but a grenade is addressed "To whom it may concern"

Major Glory

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2011 11:03PM »

Friendly reminder gang,  This Wed, the league moves up to 1000 points for the next 3 weeks.  So far everyone has had some great games and we even added a new member!!  Let's see what everyone comes up with at 1000 pnts.   ;)

Azkar

• Footman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2011 12:44AM »

Friendly reminder gang,  This Wed, the league moves up to 1000 points for the next 3 weeks.  So far everyone has had some great games and we even added a new member!!  Let's see what everyone comes up with at 1000 pnts.   ;)

I can have 3 tiger tanks even though its not "officially" a "legal" list per say. Lol jk :). It is awesome though that we got a new person.

Major Glory

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2011 03:01PM »

Wed vs yer 3 Tigers was funny.  I think everyone thought I was nuts taking jeeps and armoured cars up against them.  :o

Azkar

• Footman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 19, 2011 12:31AM »

Wed vs yer 3 Tigers was funny.  I think everyone thought I was nuts taking jeeps and armoured cars up against them.  :o

Well to be fair, you had about a 230pt disadvantage against my 3 tigers. You did a great job though holding the objective for 6 turns.

MongolKahn

• Squire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2011 08:16PM »

I won't be able to make it this Wed. We are off to the Fallin Doubles event in Lancaster Pa Thurs morning. Cpt Vik and myself will be leading B and D co s, 2nd Bltn 6th AL Brdg, 6th AB Div. into action. I plan on being there on Wed 11/2. ..................Gary

PS  Mike I bring the army for you on 11/2

Krynn72

• Man-At-Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 25, 2011 11:57PM »

I'll be missing tomorrow as well. I finally landed a real job (hooray!) and judging by how today went I wont be home until around 8 and I'll be looking to zone out for awhile. This is just for training right now (in Orange, CT), but depending on my schedule I may be working until 6:30 on Wednesdays :(
Pages: [1] 2 3 4