Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Update on Current activities  (Read 8341 times)

Major Glory

• Historical Event Organizer
  • Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
Update on Current activities
« on: Jun 27, 2011 06:19PM »

OK gang, thought I would take a moment to provide a quick run down planned activities and events for the FoW Crowd at the Battlestandard.

First:  Great run with the EW escalation league!  Even with a store move in the middle and people having babies we still managed to see this through to 1750 point armies.  The EW league is planned to finish at the end of this month on the 30th.  After that we will be in for a week of open gaming (Edit: Week of July 4-July 9)

Second: Tommy has planned for a FoW LW Qualifier tourney on Saturday July 9th.  Details can be had from Tommy.  I will ask him this week if lists need to be forwarded before then. Lists are set at 1500 points. (Update: Just have a printed list for the tourney)

Third:  Monte Cassino!!!!  Planned start date for getting the Mini campaign/ Infantry league that is Monte Cassino started will be July 6th (Correction: Wed July 13 will be the start date for Cassino). Any questions on army lists can be directed to either myself, Mike Cunningham or Jeremiah (new Daddy).  This is also a great chance for new players to try out FoW and see what it's all about.

Fourth: Mid War Escalation League.  In theory, a possible start date sometime in September or October (possible the latter)  Army lists will be from North Africa, Eastern Front, or approved MW PDF's from the lists on Battlefronts website.

Fifth: Operation Bagration revisited   :o  Potentially somewhere over the winter (January or February), we will be revisiting the Firestorm campaign: Operation Bagration.  See if you have what it takes to beat back Stalins Hordes or take the field for Mother Russia and crush the fascist invaders!!!

Other possible (note I say possible) activities include:

1. Swap meet.  (buy, sell, trade unused blisters, boxes or bits)  
2. Objective marker clinic:  Making customized objective markers for your army.
3. more Tourneys to Qualify for the Nationals
4. Inaugural "Phil of the month" ranking.  Now that Phil has moved on to bigger and better things, can you fill Das Winterwolf's boots?

So, that pretty much sums things up for the moment.  If anyone has anything they want to see happen or would like to try, by all means, bring it up and we'll see about fitting it in somewhere.

See ya Wed

« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2011 04:35PM by Major Glory »
A bullet may have your name on it, but a grenade is addressed "To whom it may concern"

Mike

• Unit Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Update on Current activities
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2011 01:44AM »

Thanks for posting the schedule, Chris, it looks very good.

As it turns out, I won't be going to Historicon, so I'll be here for both the beginning of Infantry Aces and the tournament on the 9th. It's time for the Welsh Guards to get out of the pub and back in action. :)
"You have to be fast on your feet and adaptive or else a strategy is useless." - Charles de Gaulle

Winterwolf8601

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2011 01:57AM »

Haha, awesome to see you guys doing so many events. I totally started laughing out loud when i read activity #4.  ;D. It seems like you guys are doing real well and seems like you've even picked up a couple of new people too.

So Chris, who do you think will be the next "Phill of the Month"? :P
1st Place: 2013 Masters, MW Pzgrens, LW Panzers
3rd Place: 2012 MW Nationals, Panzer Kompanie
3rd Place: 2011 US Masters, Hungarian Onkentes Puskas

Standard army procedure when treading on a mine: Jump two-hundred feet in the air, and scatter oneself over a wide area.

Major Glory

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2011 05:07PM »

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys!

Sorry you can't make Historicon Mike.  I'm sure you have a good reason, I'll just pretend you're in solidarity with me for not getting to go this year  ;D

Phil, alot of getting this going is in no small part due to your able assistance and guidance on several projects.  We're running along good because you helped make it possible.  

As for "Phil of the Month"  I'm working on ground rules for that.  I suspect the simplest will be winning "X" number of games in a month.
A bullet may have your name on it, but a grenade is addressed "To whom it may concern"

Winterwolf8601

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2011 12:52AM »

That's too bad that I wont see you at historicon Mike. As it turned out my Dad couldn't go either(He has an all-hands day on that Friday) :-[. So as far as people I know seems like I'll only be seeing Gary, James, Chris J. and maybe Mitch.

Thanks Chris I appreciate the complement. Don't sell your own or everybody else's part in getting and keeping things going though. Certainly, yourself and Mike have been equally vital in getting things up and running as I have, and all our new guys have ensured that everything stayed dynamic and expanding.
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2011 01:01AM by Winterwolf8601 »

Standard army procedure when treading on a mine: Jump two-hundred feet in the air, and scatter oneself over a wide area.

Mike

• Unit Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2011 01:44AM »

Phillip is right, Chris, you've been doing a great job of organizing our FoW group and helping new players.

My reasons for not going to Historicon are nothing sinister, just a change in the family schedule. It will be a shame not to be able to visit with you, Phillip. But, on the upside, I will still get to play three tournament games of FoW. :) 
"You have to be fast on your feet and adaptive or else a strategy is useless." - Charles de Gaulle

Gregg

• Footman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2011 12:22PM »

Not sure how attached to the Mid-war theme you are in that time-slot, but you may want to consider extending the Early War theme in that slot.  The new Hellfire & Back Early War book (North Africa desert) is scheduled to release in August, and would be a good opportunity to continue building (and using) early war figures before relegating them to a back shelf.  I think it would help avoid the thought by new players that they will need to continually buy items that are only useful for a few months, and allow them to build and expand a respectable size army.  (and since it's early war, we can still play against Poles, just non-historical)
  Also, with no new Mid War stuff coming out before then, the newer players will have difficulty 1) finding the books needed, and 2) finding the miniatures needed (without going off to the internet...).  Also, I think if we commit some time to upcoming releases, Tommy may be able to tailor his stock more to what we will be wanting.
  There will be Mid-war opportunities later in the year.

Darkdragon

• Man-At-Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2011 03:25PM »

If they do like they did with Blitzkrieg it will be awhile before you can get an army built. Unless you buy one of the Army boxes they will probably release. The books are all out and most of the minis are available for Mid-War.  You just have to make Tommy order them.

Also since there's a couple of new guys we could do Bagration before we do the Mid-War giving them time to complete their Late war army first.

But I think the timeline looks pretty good anyways.

I think the award should be called "Das Philrur".
"Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!" - Tyrion Lannister

Major Glory

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2011 05:15PM »

Thanks for the kind thoughts guys  ;D

As far as pushing off the MW event for the next EW book coming out,  I'm excited about that as well and plan on buying the book, but I would prefer to give both new and experienced players a chance to explore all three sections of FoW.  We've finished both an EW and a LW league and I feel the MW has been given a bit of the short stick.  After playing the Monte Cassino Event, we'll have given newer players a chance to participate in a small scale LW campaign and let them digest that experience for awhile.  One we complete a MW league, players will  have options to play a wide variety of games in any time frame.  Also remember, some armies have the capacity to span time frames like the Germans and Russians.  We'll then be able to plan more events with a wider pool of timeframes and we can then try specific events like Poland, Northern France, Western Desert, Barbarossa, Stalingrad, El Alamein, Dieppe, Crete, Greece, Kursk, Siciliy, etc, etc.

Nothing has to be relegated to the back shelf either.  The store is open everyday for gaming and we all can post a heads up here for inquires about gaming, On FoW night, nothing says you must play only with the specified event armies.  If say you and Mike wanted to pencil in a game of LW while we are mostly playing MW, thats fine.  I am lucky enough to be ably to pack three armies in my bag, one for each time frame.  We will also be spacing these events out with some open gaming night for everyone to play with whatever armies they want.

So hopefully noone feels like they MUST do what the crowd is doing.  The most important parts of this are Fun, and Growing the hobby by promoting it, which benefits us and the store in the long run.

Gregg

• Footman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2011 05:43PM »

Well... I guess that settles it... I'll have to get a bigger bag!  Your thoughts are sound.

My Bersaglieri will dust themselves off and get ready.  Be prepared for 8 million bayonets!!!  (unless I roll low, then only 5 million will show up)   They can share the new Hotel de Battlefoam with new US Rifles and old Germans :)

Krynn72

• Man-At-Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 29, 2011 07:19PM »

The schedule looks fantastic, I'm excited for all of it :D I'll be missing tonight unfortunately, but I'll be there next week for some Cassino action, and tournament action.

Winterwolf8601

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 29, 2011 11:39PM »

From what little I know, I do not think there will be the same kind of delay with models getting released after the EW desert book gets released.

Box sets and blisters are planned to be available only a few weeks after the big Army boxes. Not to mention alot of the EW desert stuff is already available in MW(E.G. Crusaders, Pz IIIGs, etc).

Re: MW, the second desert book(i forget the name and don't remember when it's gona be out) is supposed to contain some MW lists as well as EW lists. Supposedly, some of the wacky special forces type lists(LRDG, Saharias, etc) will be in there for both MW and EW. Maybe it might be worth waiting till that book comes out to do MW? You should be able to find the article that briefly discussed it on the FoW site(it was the same article which JP revealed hellfire + back.

Major Glory

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 30, 2011 04:37PM »

Well, I figure the Book should be out sometime in August, and I'm planning a start time for the MW league to be somewhere in September or Early October.  So I'm pretty sure that should give people time to process the new lists in the book and see what it inspires them to do.  Again, some of the models will probably be able to transition from one time period to another so people may not have to buy as much as they think they do, depending on the forces they pick.

I also have the updated raiding mission rules from the FoW website.  These cover the Brit SAS and LRDG, as well as the Italian Saharias and the German Brandenburgers.

Major Glory

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 03, 2011 02:07PM »

Please note I have updated the schedule and corrected some wrong dates.  Otherwise this still is very workable.

Rick

• Footman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 04, 2011 03:58PM »

Well guys, all if sounds great, except that I will be missing most of it - new job has me on the road most of the week - eventually I hope to be able to get in on Friday nights or weekends but mid week is dead now - I'll keep an eye on the web site
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6