Author Topic: How do you add sand to the base?  (Read 1249 times)

eyebreaker

• Squire
    • View Profile
How do you add sand to the base?
« on: Jan 04, 2013 01:54AM »

How do you add sand, grass, etc. to the base of your minis? Do you add some glue, spread it round & then add the sand, grass, etc.?

Noah

• Squire
    • View Profile
Re: How do you add sand to the base?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2013 02:20AM »

I use PVA glue (Elmer's baby, gotta kick it like this is a 1st grade project.)  I spread it around and then for something like sand I would dip the base in a small tub of the sand, let it sit for a minute, then flip it over and gently tap it to knock off any excess.  After that has dried I make a wash of water and more PVA glue and paint the sand with it.

If you do this before you prime your models you can skip the glue wash the primer has the same effect.  I tend to base my models after painting them because I drip paint onto my bases sometimes.  Plenty of others do it first.

Also I highly recommend a product called "Black Lava."  It's black paint with some sort of sand/grit in it already that is amazing for basing models.

Good luck!

Tommy

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2013 11:17AM »

Noah is 100% correct. The only thing I would do different is instead of Elmer's glue I use Matte Medium available at michles craft store. I found Elmers peals after a while.
"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country."

jvanase

• Warhammer Event Organizer
  • Unit Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2013 12:22AM »

I've never had an issue with the elmers glue, but I use the Black Lava these days.  I like the texture better.  Comes in a 200mL tub, and it's enough to do 3 or 4 armies probably.
-Jon