Author Topic: Old rules/codex  (Read 1464 times)

dcm

• Squire
    • View Profile
Old rules/codex
« on: Aug 11, 2012 11:51PM »

I'm looking to get back into table top gaming and I'm dusting off all my old gear part of which are all my codex's and rule books from the early/mid '90s.

I'm wondering if they are still valid today or if I'll have to invest in upgrading my documentation if I intend to play a public game today.

-Dan

Greg

• EXTRA-LIFE Charity Event Organizer
  • Unit Musician
    • View Profile
Re: Old rules/codex
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2012 12:13PM »

Warhammer Fantasy is currently in its 8th edition, which was released in 2010. I believe Tommy has a lightly used copy of the hardcover rulebook on sale for cheap at the Battle Standard. Otherwise, it's going to cost you $75. Here's when each army book was last updated. The 8th edition books are hard cover and beautiful, but received a significant price increase to match:

Beastmen - 7th edition
Brettonia - 6th edition
Daemons of Chaos - 7th edition (an official rules update for the Daemons was released in this month's White Dwarf)
Dark Elves - 7th edition
Dwarfs - 6th edition
High Elves - 7th edition
Lizardmen - 7th edition
Ogre Kingdoms - 8th edition
Orcs and Goblins - 8th edition
Skaven - 7th edition
The Empire - 8th edition
Tomb Kings - 8th edition
Vampire Counts - 8th edition
Warriors of Chaos - 7th edition
Wood Elves - 6th edition

dcm

• Squire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2012 04:48PM »

Thank you Greg!

I have a followup question with regards to Chaos that perhaps your knowledge extends to. I have a 1997 edition of "Realm of Chaos". It appears Chaos is now split individually between the different war bands (warriors, daemons, and beastmen) according to your list? I actually have armies for all three war bands, so does that mean I'll have to get all three codex's now or is there an equivalent RoC codex?

Additionally Ogres seem to have gotten their own race (perhaps they always did and my memory doesn't serve me well enough). Are Ogres still part of the chaos warriors warband, empire regiments and orcs mobs? I have some ogres that I would float between my chaos/empire/orc armies.

Thanks again for your help,

-Dan

Greg

• EXTRA-LIFE Charity Event Organizer
  • Unit Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2012 11:17PM »

They've officially split Chaos into the three separate armies (since 7th edition). This is nice because it means each faction has lots of new unit types, but it's also annoying for people that only have a few units from each faction.

Ogre Kingdoms do have their own army (since 6th edition), with lots of interesting unit choices. However, there is a "Chaos Ogre" unit in the Warriors of Chaos book. They are not included in the Empire or Orcs and Goblins army books.

dcm

• Squire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2012 12:43AM »

Chaos was always different (or at least when I played) from the other races with regards to army construction, specifically in that the war bands were essentially different armies - 3/4 of your army had to come from a single war band, the last 1/4 was allies and the only thing special about the chaos war bands was that all chaos war bands were allies of each other which was significant because chaos had a very limited number of allies, daemons for example could only ally with dark elves. So this news isn't exactly surprising, but it does look like I'll have to get many more codex's...

Appears ogres are still allies to beast men, daemons, empire and orcs - so I should be able to still use them which is nice, but again... another codex I'll have to buy, less I just use them as chaos ogres.

Again, Greg, your help is greatly appreciated - thanks.

-Dan