Author Topic: Alec's Journeyman League RoS!  (Read 2048 times)

aleck

• Footman
    • View Profile
Alec's Journeyman League RoS!
« on: Aug 06, 2012 01:07AM »

I'm assuming most people who frequent The Battle Standard know me by now- but I started coming to TBS to play 40k, demo'd Warmachine and haven't looked back since. I started with Menoth based on aesthetics (something that EVERY article on getting started with the hobby warned against) and naturally the more I played and learned about the game- the less I enjoyed Menoth compared to what I was seeing in the other faction's capabilities. So eventually I started Circle and I absolutely love it. I'm not too good yet, but it fits me well. Circle is great, but it has a mostly melee/spell slinging theme and as the weeks of playing it have passed I've begun to miss ranged lists and focus. So, my eyes have been fixed on Retribution of Scyrah for a while, until this coming journeyman league was announced (actually, I think I gave into buying Kaelyssa a week before I even knew about the league) and gave me the perfect excuse to shelve my Menoth and replace them with the anti-human elves.

I'm not a great painter by any means, but I do like a cohesive paint scheme. Jared pointed out that my armies, from Tau, to Menoth, and then Circle, have all been dark colored and this time I wanted to break that mold. So I settled on a mix of my favorite colors, GW's Ice Blue, Shadow Grey, Liche Purple, with accents of Hawk Turquoise and Enchanted Blue. Ice blue is for solid armor, while shadow grey is for fabric, liche purple is the identifier/unit color and blue is for the magical glow on the myrmidons and armor.

The journeyman league gives points for painting and therefore I'm trying to keep everything that sees the tabletop painted. If I give in I know I'll get lazy and end up playing with black primed infantry in the final weeks. This is going to be difficult because I'm going to have to paint 27 small based models between weeks 3-5, and in week 6 (if I'm doing well in the league) I'll have to paint two more large based models. This is all going to have to happen during a very busy period of work and the end of my summer soccer league... ugh!

Anyway here are the pictures of the pieces of the battlebox I have so far (retribution's battlebox has to be purchased separately unfortunately). The manticore is a work in progress still, it needs more 'magical glow' blue still amongst other touch ups. However I am pleased with Kaelyssa and learned alot about my paint scheme from the Griffon- that's the positive I can take from him I suppose. I have the final piece of the battlebox coming in Thursday and hopefully will paint it up by Saturday (and post pictures)! As each week passes I plan on updating this thread with what I'm adding to the army as the league point value climbs to 35- when I'm hoping to get twin Phoenix's (credit to Bo for the idea) and hopefully use them to go 5-0 the final week! (I can dream...)

Also, on the manticore I want to do a "white steel" effect on the blades- I was just thinking white base and then lightly dry brush darker silver over the blade, highlighting the raised section of the blade, if anyone could give me a "good idea" or "try this instead" that'd be cool (just know I'm a low skill level painter- so nothing too crazy!).

p.s. please excuse the iPhone photos, it's the only camera I have currently!

Kaelyssa (front)

Kaelyssa (back)

Griffon (front)

Griffon (back)

Manticore (front)

Manticore (side)

Manticore (back)
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2012 01:12AM by aleck »

Tommy

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
Re: Alec's Journeyman League RoS!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2012 12:08PM »

Hotness! Keep up the great work!
"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country."

waynehayes

• Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2012 02:51PM »

Wow!  Those are great!  So much better than the factory scheme of white

aleck

• Footman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2012 04:06AM »

So- I've made progress! I finished my Manticore last night, along with epic Eiryss. To finish my battlebox I'm just waiting to pick up my Chimera when it comes in and then I only need an Arcanist to finish my week 2 list. So I guess I'm on schedule thus far!

Today I gave up on attempting to get my dad into warmahordes- honestly it was a longshot at best- but that meant I could exchange the battlebox I got him for a Mage Hunter Strike Force! Meaning my week 3 list is a Unit Attachment away from purchased! I had actually put these together a while ago and remembered how difficult their crossbows are to glue- the models have an extremely small contact point for such a large piece. However when I went to Sean and Drew with my problem they showed me a couple tricks along with some modeling 101 tips and this time around putting together the unit was much easier. I washed the models with water and a lil' bit of soap, and used tiny amounts of baking soda to speed up the glues bond. So again, thanks Drew & Sean!

And now pictures, again from my iPhone.

The freshly recruited Mage Hunter Strike Force!

Manticore front

Manticore back

Manticore side (the white steel idea didn't work too well, but I'm fine with it how it looks)

I think my first distraction is coming up; wanting to paint the Mage Hunter Strike force before the Arcanist- even though he needs to be done a week earlier!

As for the league, today I found out that there's going to be around 10 or 12 people in it! Which is so awesome, I've wanted to play in a journeyman league since I understood what they were, and to have such great participation in the first one I'm involved in can only be a good omen for the rest of the league.

Aisriyth

• Unit Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2012 04:11AM »

Loving the blue and purple scheme! But, yea the baking soda technique has served me well with some infinity models... I wish I had brought some with me when I built Achilles.
Drew H
Infinity: PanO soon to have Tohaa
Dystopian Wars: Russian Coalition Navy for now

Seltheron

• Squire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 2012 04:37AM »

I'm liking the color scheme too.  I'd like to see some of the painted models in person; your humility being noted from our earlier conversation, they look good.  What were you thinking of doing for the bases?

aleck

• Footman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2012 04:54AM »

I'm liking the color scheme too.  I'd like to see some of the painted models in person; your humility being noted from our earlier conversation, they look good.  What were you thinking of doing for the bases?

Thanks guys, the color scheme is the most important part to me, as I lack detail ability...

As far as bases go, this may be blasphemous but I don't like basing- especially in Warmachine where the base is a tool of the game's mechanics. I prefer to just mark the melee arc and make sure it's solid black.

Seltheron

• Squire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2012 05:05AM »

That's fine, but you should at least gravel and flock it.  Models tend to look unfinished with at least that much attention given to the base, and you've already lavished your attention on these beauties so far... why not an extra fifteen minutes for a finishing touch?