Author Topic: More events!  (Read 1948 times)

aleck

• Footman
    • View Profile
More events!
« on: Jul 09, 2012 01:41PM »

The player base for Warmachine/Hordes at TBS is pretty large and seems to only be growing- so why not two events a month- especially in the summer? Maybe a steamroller the second week of a month and then a 'fun' tournament style at the end of the month? 

Also- I saw this and think it would be awesome to try at TBS because we have a nice mix of all the factions:

FORMAT: 35 point WHEEL OF FORTUNE event:
For this event, bring a single list built using standard SR 2012 list building rules. However, instead of using your warcaster’s normal spell/feat card, each round of the event each player will randomly select a new spell/feat card for their warcaster.
- Bring one legal 35pt list, including a legal warcaster/warlock as normal.
- At the beginning of each round, every player will randomly select a new spell/feat card to use with their army. This card REPLACES their chosen warcaster/warlock’s normal spell/feat card.
- Each player’s chosen warcaster/warlock will keep their usual stat card (the card with statistics, weapons, special rules, etc) for all matches.
- Players will never be able to draw a spell/feat card for their own faction. Players will also never draw a spell/feat card from the same faction twice – for example, if you attend the event with Cygnar, you will never receive a Cygnar spell/feat card. If you draw a Menoth spell/feat card round one, during round two you cannot draw a Cygnar OR Menoth spell/feat card.
Players will receive a single “veto” during the tournament, letting them redraw a new card.
- Game systems will never be crossed – Warmachine armies will only draw from warcaster cards, and Hordes armies will only draw from warlock cards.
- Players will draw cards from a specially-prepared pool of warcaster/warlock cards. Extremely specialized cards (such as Karchev or Caine1) or extremely competitive cards (such as Haley2 or Skarre2) are not in the pool!

Tommy

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
Re: More events!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2012 10:03PM »

Planning, running and preparing for a tournament or event is a lot of behind the sceans work.
"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country."

aleck

• Footman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2012 04:25AM »

Ah okay, figured it was a logistical thing!

Tommy

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2012 11:04AM »

Don't get me wrong I am not saying I wouldn't I have a plan in the works for a tournament circuit but still writing it up and such.
"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country."

Swonkob

• Warmachine/Hordes Event Organizer
  • Unit Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2012 12:46PM »

From my point of view, I can do it but it would effect the attendance numbers. (I've seen it happen)
Instead of 20 per event, we'd see 10 to 12. Too much of a good thing, I guess! ;)
I think a tourney and maybe a monthly campaign type thing might work though? :)

Lycane

• MERCS Event Organizer
  • Man-At-Arms
  • Trolls FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2012 01:17PM »

PP does run a campaign from fall to early summer, with prize support and usually "event days"...just saying!

Swonkob

• Warmachine/Hordes Event Organizer
  • Unit Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2012 02:12PM »

As a way to add more weekend WM/Hs fun in addition to the monthly tourney; I would be more inclined to a one day "event" in lieu of an additional "tourney" or long term campaign. A one day campaign may draw the numbers we need without effecting tourney attendance, it would be more manageable for me than the whole PP campaign organization and would offer the casual play for those newer players.
All I'm saying is that I'm willing! ;)

Tommy

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2012 03:29PM »

^ Do it. Ill help out.

DaBrode

• TBS Owner
  • Battle Standard Bearer
  • "Nice try Lao Che!"
    • View Profile
    • The Battle Standard
« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2012 11:26AM »

We had two Press Gangers for this reason and I believe one of them just got too busy to keep up.  We had good attendance for the last two leagues/campaigns but they needed better support.

:wink:
:trollbloods: Borka's Kegslayers
:wmmercs: Grundback's Grunts
:mercs: Hoffman's Heroes
:ork: Urgot 'Eadbaggah's 'Ead 'Unterz
:maw: Clan of Olag Foestomper
:chaos: The Felled Angels
:aquila: Merc Redreign's Cipher Company 000 "The Nobodies"

darkInertia

• Squire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 2012 12:07AM »

I would love to see larger sized games: 35-50 points. Obviously there is a time issue with them but it is something I am interested in.

aleck

• Footman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 2012 11:45PM »

On that note, what point size is the August steamroller? And any word on the 'event' mentioned earlier in this thread?

Dimsday

• Squire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 24, 2012 03:06AM »

I would also like to see larger steamroller events in the 35 - 50 pt range. Perhaps if registration happened at 10 followed by dice rolling at 11 we could manage these larger pt games. I understand it might limit the player pool, but it would be interesting to see how many players would come.

It'd be great in the long run to do these 'push the envelope events' for the meta. Maybe they only happen once a quarter or so. I've been playing at the store for close to 2 years now and have seen the player base grow, not to mention the diverse group the monthly tourneys attract. I think it's time to raise the bar.

aleck

• Footman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 24, 2012 03:49AM »

Especially with the 3 or 4 new players I've met recently- something like a journeyman league would be awesome- I need an excuse to play RoS!!

Personally I prefer the 35 point range, I like making sacrifices while making lists and the flavorful single minded gimmick lists are something I think this game has over all others I've seen! I'm not a skilled/competitive player though, so my opinion is based on the amount of 'fun' I've had.