Author Topic: Red Star Rising  (Read 2952 times)

Major Glory

• Historical Event Organizer
  • Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
Red Star Rising
« on: Jul 05, 2012 09:39PM »

Ok, Now that I'm a little better organized, and tech savvy  :wink:.  I will be posting pics as I begin building a 900 point Flames of War Soviet Rifle battalion for Septembers Stalingrad campaign.  Feedback at all stages will be welcome.

To start, I bought my product at the shop (nice hint eh?)  and then set myself a schedule for the next 2 months to get this done.
Start date: July 1.
End date August 31. 
Lets see how far I go.

Week 1: Open, Sort, clean, and mount figures on craftsticks  for priming and basing.
Week 2: Base and Prime Figures.
Week 3: Paint Figures and Support Weapons.
Week 4: Ink figures, score, prime and paint stands.
Week 5: Highlights.
Week 6: Mount figures and support weapons onto stands.  Start applying basing material to stands.
Week 7: Finish basing stands, touch up models as needed.
Week 8: Finish up last minute details, make objective markers.
Week 9: Stalingrad.

So, off to the table I go with, what is for me, a huge project to undertake.   :omg:
A bullet may have your name on it, but a grenade is addressed "To whom it may concern"

Major Glory

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
Re: Red Star Rising
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2012 09:43PM »

Week 1: pics:

The whole view!   :omg:

Battalion HQ, Sapper platoon, AT-guns, Sniper, Battalion Commisar, and 1rst Rifle Company

76mm Artillery Battery

2d Rifle Company
A bullet may have your name on it, but a grenade is addressed "To whom it may concern"

Major Glory

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2012 09:20PM »

Week 2 Pics:

Battalion setup on table outside to paint primer

Strelkovy team

1iC primed and ready

Base paint applied

Company CO

Strelk companies ranked up for painting

Bn HQ Ready to paint

Artillery Crew

Major Glory

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2012 10:43PM »

Week 3 pics.  It's coming along sloooowly 

Major Glory

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2012 11:31PM »

Week 4 Pics;

I love the commissar model yelling into the megaphone  :D

AvogadroTheMole

• Unit Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2012 06:55PM »

It looks like they are coming along nicely. And I totally sympathize with the scale of the project. Is there any way to get higher res pictures? What displays on my compy are too small to see any details.
Welcome to Soviet Russia. Here we do not measure our strength by the number of us left but rather by how few rounds you have remaining.

Major Glory

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2012 11:00PM »

It looks like they are coming along nicely. And I totally sympathize with the scale of the project. Is there any way to get higher res pictures? What displays on my compy are too small to see any details.

I am taking the pics with my iPhone camera, still kinda new at this as well so I will see if I can blow up the pics.  Meanwhile...catching up for weeks 4 and 5 post inking and start of highlighting.

AvogadroTheMole

• Unit Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2012 05:11PM »

Oooo...you got lots of detail on those guys. They certainly look like they will be first rate when they hit the table.

-Matthew
Welcome to Soviet Russia. Here we do not measure our strength by the number of us left but rather by how few rounds you have remaining.

Krynn72

• Man-At-Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 03, 2012 10:43PM »

Kadish: The God of Patience.

Looking real good Chris. Should look spectacular when compiled and based. I simultaneously look forward to and fear the day I get to see them on the table for Aces.

Major Glory

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 04, 2012 09:58PM »

Finally finished!  Heres some shots of the Strelkovy now that its done.  Whew!!

Major Glory

• Battle Standard Bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 04, 2012 10:04PM »

Well, Only about 2 days over allotted time and I managed to get 900 points of Strelkovy done.  I sure learned alot about myself as a modeler doing this project.  A Strelkovy definitely is a labor of love.  Once started, I cannot be put aside easily.  I had plenty of days when I was to tired to fuss with it, but I plugged away and now I am glad it's done.  I'll be glad to field it tomorrow night when we start Flames of War Infantry Aces Stalingrad.  I'm hoping in this to have inspired someone else to try something new and really get into it. 

In closing, I'd like to say thanks to a few people.  Firstly, Bruce Oberst, whom I met at Nationals in 2010.  His article "144 Pairs of Boots"  was the prime motivator for my undertaking this project.  Thanks to Tommy and Jared and their having everything on hand to buy so I didn't have to roam about looking for things (I'll still buy that spray can when it comes in.)  And finally thanks to the Battlestandards FoW crowd who gave me great feedback and encouragement to keep plugging away at this.

See you guys on the high ground!!

AvogadroTheMole

• Unit Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 04, 2012 10:51PM »

Awesome! The mighty Soviet War Machine is now one battalion stronger!

They look great Chris. Maybe we should do a Strelkovy bumper cars sometime after Infantry Aces.

-Matthew

R19rok

• Squire
    • View Profile
Red Star Rising
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2014 09:09PM »

will just got my new pair today.  red dragons hmpk.  they look nice.  ganna see what we can do. wish me luck guys.

Michaelrek

• Squire
    • View Profile
Red Star Rising
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2014 12:01PM »

Im almost finished my Red Acid log and so far Im quite impressed  Hope you have great results with your trip